Tuesday, February 12, 2013

At Last: Vika Bull to narrate Etta James' story (Athenaeum)

Vika Bull (Photo: Chrissie Francis)
When seasoned songstress Vika Bull graces the Athenaeum stage in Melbourne on February 21st in At Last: The Etta James Story, she rejects any suggestion she will be acting.

‘I am just telling the story of one amazing woman,’ Ms Bull told Stage Whispers, ‘and I am very nervous as it is my first time at narrating.’

Twenty-six of Etta James’s songs, backed by an eight-piece band, will feature in the ‘narrative concert’, which tells the story of the soul singer’s life. It opens just over a year after Etta James’ death in January 2012.

‘I am going to try and sing her songs as true as I can,’ said Bull. ‘Of course she was one hell of a singer with her own phrasing and that is very hard to mimic. I have been doing my homework and reading a lot about her - she had a tough life - I can only do my interpretation as best as I can.’
Continue reading on Stage Whispers

Read my review of the 'At Last' World Premiere
Watch Vika Bull singing 'At Last'
More stage theatre reviews and articles

No comments:

Post a Comment